Saturday, March 20, 2010

Back When I Was a Kid...

For some reason, I was remembering how my mom used to force us to watch old classics with her, and how I was always glad I did, because I would end up laughing & crying & acknowledging that she was right, the oldies were the goodies. Can't wait till my kids are a little older, and I too, can force them to watch the classics with me.

Top Ten Movie Classics My Mom Made Me Watch:

10. Sergeant York: Gary Cooper, guns, war, and a Christian conversion, yep, this one's what we call a Felix favorite. It's a classic about a war hero, and based on a true story. (1941)

9. High Noon: Gary Cooper's the man, and Grace Kelly is the most beautiful actress maybe ever. (1952)

8. The Philadelphia Story: Katherine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, and Helllloooo Cary Grant.
It's so fun to hear the way Kate Hepburn talks. During that era, the movie studios actually trained their actresses to all speak in that very distinct way, it's so fun to listen to. This is a sweet and silly one. (1940)

7. Roman Holiday: Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn (her first film I believe) 1953, another sweet one to watch, remakes don't do them justice. A princess just wants to be a real girl for the day, you know how it is.

6. Sorry, Wrong Number: This was a suspense with Barbara Stanwyck, ahead of it's time.... a bedridden invalid overhears the plot for a murder and tries helplessly to prevent it. (1948)

5. Meet John Doe: Let's see directed by Frank Capra, starring Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck, the fast talking journalist, what more could you want in a movie? Not only that, but there's a riotous speech given by a hobo about the "helots" in the movie that Dan loves. (1941)

4. An Affair to Remember: There's a reason Nora Ephron pays homage to this movie by referring to it in Sleepless in Seattle. It's the best. I love watching the last scene with my dad, he cries like a baby EVERY TIME, and so do I. (1957)

3. All About Eve: Whew, nothing in the world like deceptive and jealous women vying for
fame and clinging to their youth. You go Bette Davis, you go.... (1950)

2. It's a Wonderful Life: Duh. (1946)

1. Love in the Afternoon: My all time favorite, I don't know why, but I love Audrey Hepburn's attempts as the young naive girl to get the attention of an aging womanizer, played by Gary Cooper. In the background, an orchestra plays Fascination, Maurice Chevalier plays a French detective, and a silly dog makes me laugh all throughout the story. (1957)


Honorable Mentions: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Rear Window, Dark Victory, Now Voyager, Arsenic & Old Lace, The Bishop's Wife, Sabrina, Rebecca, and The Maltese Falcon.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOOOOOVE the Philadelphia Story....*sigh* Cary Grant is so dreamy and Jimmy Stewart is just my favorite. These are all gems.

Jen said...

Weird, because your mom's awesome taste in movies shaped my movie loves, too. I remember watching Rear Window during a Pictionary party and falling in love with it and potato cake in the same night. You guys also introduced me to Wait Until Dark. Still one of my all time favorites. Those MdC's have fantastic taste.

SomisSurferGirl said...

Oh my goodness, I am absolutely right there with you. I haven't seen a few of those so I am going to have to make that my priority!

Sarah said...

I have seen most of them and without being forced! The Maltese Falcon is a great book too! Watch THE BIG SLEEP, William Faulkner wrote the screenplay when he was broke and was working for the studios!

Sara said...

Haven't gotten to the classics yet but I'm already making Ella watch Anne of Green Gables and Little House on the Prairie with me. I sobbed, literally sobbed, my way through the episode when baby Charles dies. I just bought Little Women and am thinking that will be her next indoctrination!