Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cold-Hearted Snake

So if you've ever seen me interact with my children when one of them gets hurt, your subconscious may begin replaying that old Abdul classic we all secretly know and love, Cold Hearted Snake, and in my defense, here's why:

A little after 1 today, I put Morgan down for a nap, then the girls and I sat in the front yard for a bit, chattin' it up with the neighbor (Kat). We have a wooden swing in the front, Noelle was whacked in the lip by it while pushing her sister.... insert lots of crying and tears. Then we went inside, Noelle then went to play with Lorelei in her room, and fell and hit the bunk bed ladder..... insert lots of crying and tears....... After Morgan woke up, sister accidentally knocked her while she was drinking out of my glass cup, bumping her teeth and lip..... insert lots of crying and tears. I then went to take a shower, and heard Lorelei run into the bathroom upset. She claims she fell and bumped her chin and she thought the inside of her mouth was bleeding...... insert lots of crying and tears.

Now for those of you keeping track, that's 4 injuries in 2 hours, that's 4 hysterical, high-pitched bouts of crying. Now I've got a little math problem for you. I've had in my possession, 4 kids for about 995 days now, In each of those 995 days, the 4 kids are awake about 12 hours a day. If I average 4 injuries every 2 hours, that's potentially 24 crying incidents a day. Now multiply 24 times 995. Yep. that's 23,880 crying incidents I've potentially experienced. These numbers don't even take in to consideration the almost 4 years before Morgan was born, this is just since I've had her.

My point is, I've seen the kids fall, trip, push, hit, stumble, bump heads, scrape elbows, and beg for bandaids on quite a few occasions. So if I appear incredibly cold and callous because my kid enters the room with a bloody nose, and I barely turn to acknowledge them, well, you do the math!

4 comments:

Coleson & Tate said...

You have the heart of a 'boy's mom', that is what you have! and that is what you need. A boy. ;)

SomisSurferGirl said...

love it! hilarious!

AllGrace said...

I love it!

Julie Gebhards said...

I'm with you. Last week I overheard in the backyard, "hey, if you want to see a lot of blood, come look at Reilly's hand"..Did I get up and run outside? No, not until someone came in after me! 6 stitches later...and I still won't run. I guess I've probably heard as much screaming as you have :). And they're all still alive and well.