Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Ahh, Nostalgia



So apparently there are some serious marketing geniuses out there in the world that have tapped in to a strategy I call the need for nostalgia. Basically this strategy pinpoints suckers like myself, by capitalizing on all of my positive childhood memories and forcing me to spend money so that I can pass those experiences on to my own four children. First there was the remake of The Karate Kid, starring my former boyfriend (*Remember, I'm an English major, things I write shouldn't always be taken literally), and the beloved Mr. Miagi (formerly of Happy Days fame). In gist, I forced my kids to watch the original, which was fortunately an "edited for TBS" version, but still much more grown up than I had remembered, and then I convinced them all that they were beyond EXCITED to see the remake with Will Smith Jr.... or some name that starts with a J. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I LOVED it way more than they did, but I will admit, there's a lot to be said for the power of suggestion when you've got kids ages 7 and under. Anyway, it was amazing, but I decided Ralph Macchio's image trumped the new poster for my blog.

And then as if summer wasn't off to the perfect kick-off already with me re-living my childhood favoritest movie, I saw the re-release of my formerly-favorite BARBIE doll of all time, Peaches and Cream Barbie, circa '85. I almost bought it, and then realized it wasn't the same price as all the other barbies in the Target aisle I so often linger in, drat, it's a vintage release.... Needless to say, I restrained myself, because I couldn't really justify the purchase, but I wanted to acknowledge that I'm on to the fact that they're on to me.... they being the people that market memories and make money on sentimental moms like me that did in fact actually have really good childhoods thanks to the materialism of the 80's and probably due in part to the fact that Reagan was in office for all my formative years.

But I digress.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, and Rainbow Brite are all around for a second run! I'm still waiting for Pound Puppies.