Thursday, July 22, 2010

Prayer for Heidi

Some of you TMC people may recall my feisty, one of a kind roommate from college - Heidi Potter. Well, I've asked for prayer for her before as in recent years she's had 2 very challenging pregnancies, and one very high risk premie. The good news is the Lord kindly answered our prayers, and Heidi now has a 4 year old, a 2 year old, and an 8 week old baby that are all very healthy. The bad news is Miss Heidi has been diagnosed with cancer. She had to have her thyroid and her lymphnodes removed on Monday. In 2 weeks she will have radiation and be in the hospital for 3 days. I've spoken with her, and she's in good spirits. She has peace and is not fearful, more than anything, she's thinking like a MOM, and concerned more about the inconveniences this causes than anything else. She had to quit nursing, and well, I don't need to explain to most of you the challenges that already exist when you have 3 very small children... or even if you just have one newborn for that matter!

Pray for Heidi's strength, stamina, and a quick recovery. Pray that they can find meds that help her deal with the consequences of not having a thyroid as quickly as possible. Pray that her husband and local friends come alongside her and help her as much as they can in the days ahead.

As I complained to myself this week about the never-ending messes I clean, I thought of Heidi and was reminded that I should be grateful I have the strength to clean them. When I whined internally about the financial drain of owning an older home and trying to keep up with the wants and needs of 4 children, I remembered that I'm not paying extra medical bills right now. When I got the cell phone pic of her recent giant incision across her neck, with her comment, "Now that's sexy," I smiled and remembered.... to be grateful!

5 comments:

Coleson & Tate said...

Prayers for Heidi & her family!!!

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear this. I have a friend in Northern CA who has struggled with the same thing. She is doing well. Praying for Heidi and her family.

Unknown said...

Oh no, Christina:( This breaks my heart. I JUST spoke to her a few weeks back! I'm heart broken and speechless...praying.

Sara said...

Perspective. We all need that. Heartbroken for a mama to have to go through that. Praying

Theresa said...

Okay, we haven't met but I found your blog through bloghopping other friends' blogs...and happenned to read your post about your friend going through thyroid cancer. I read that about a week before I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer myself and couldn't believe the timing of it. I just had surgery a week ago to remove my thyroid and will do radioactive iodine later, but everything looks good. I have two little kids, but not a newborn, so i sorta know what she is going through. Please let her know that I'm thinking about her going through this struggle at the same time as me. The Lord has been so faithful to my family through this trial! Prayers!