Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Politics, Pop Culture, and Printed Pants









Politics: Go Republicans, go.... so far the national convention's been interesting enough that I haven't turned the channel during any of the big speeches.  I wish I could be on the panel of commentators after the speeches are over.  I'd say, "Yes, Britt, I agree, and I found Paul Ryan's boyish good looks added a certain likeability to him.  Not that his looks are going to determine my vote... but a nice face doesn't hurt the cause does it?"

Pop Culture: This summer's television highlight for me has been Amy Sherman Palladino's new show, Bunheads on the family channel.  She was the writer for Gilmore Girls, and her same hilarious wit and eccentric characters create fun escapism into the idyllic coastal town of Paradise.  The term bunheads refers to a group of ballerinas and their instructors.  The protagonist's quest for coffee in one of the episodes made me ridiculously happy, as did the campy cameos made by her former GG cast members - example: Zack the rocker, was now the one-eyed plumber. 

Printed Pants: And then there's the printed pants.  It seems every magazine I see insists that printed pants are the must have fashion item of the season.  Here's the thing, when I was in 6th grade, I got a really rockin' pair of floral guess jeans from a bag of hand me downs from my much taller friend.  I loved those jeans, when I wore them, I felt like I looked 13, not 11.  But now 20 some years later, I'm feeling a little reluctant to embrace this youthful trend.  I'm thinking the only floral jeans I'll be buying will be for my daughters.  You know what I mean?

PS
I love alliteration.... school must be starting soon!

No comments: