Monday, September 22, 2008

Why I Need to take Parenting Classes

Okay, so at the twins' preschool the other day, this lady was trying to recruit people to take a parenting class at their church.  I gave her the old barely polite smile and rolled my eyes in my head, yeah like I need that, like I haven't just dealt with four infants in the last five years practically all at once.   But then incidents like this happened during the week that made me think that maybe I do need a class, or a nanny, or basically any type of professional help.
   
      1. Last Monday, I took Lorelei to ballet, which means I have to kill an hour with the other 3 kids somewhere, so I took them to the nearby outlets.  I promised them a cookie at the cookie store if they were good.  They were good, I went to the cookie store, ordered them their cookies, and then realized the cookie place only takes cash, and no I didn't even have the 3 bucks in my van, thank you.  Seriously devastated my children as we walked away empty handed and I tried to explain the concept of debit cards to them. Broke parent promise to them, great.

      2. I made them afraid of police.  Lately the girls are always gasping and freaking out in the van when they see a police car.  I realize it was because I kept threatening that if they unbuckled their car seat seatbelts the police were going to "get us."  Maybe not the best approach.

      3. On Sunday afternoon, we had guests over for lunch.  They pointed out that while they were there and I was talking their ears off, and not paying close attention to my kids, they had consumed chocolate chip cookies, ice cream, licorice, and an untold number of candy corns.  The fact that I even would buy candy corn which is basically pure fake sugar is evidence enough I need to take some kind of seminar.

4. All of my children were crazy, irrational, bad today.  Maylin threw a fit about taking a nap, Morgan threw a fit when I took her out of the swing at the park, every time I tried to put her in her car seat, and when I changed her diaper, Lorelei hit Noelle for "looking at her" and Noelle said something very obstinate and disrespectful though I can't remember exactly what it was, but I do remember she sort of glared at me when she said it.

      5. After a day like that I gave my kids corn dogs for dinner.  I bet if I had taken a parenting class, I would have at least made a meat loaf!

* On a more serious note, thank you friends for praying for our church and the Souser family at our church who recently suffered the loss of their dad.  I am so grateful for the body of Christ!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

apart from the last paragraph, this post was hilarious! I soooo appreciate your memroy re-call AND your truthfulness about what you remember! Good job!

Devin said...

Thank you for blogging about your life, and mine! I had the exact same day today. Devin took one look at me when he got home and said, "I'll make dinner tonight kids. Mommy is very very sick. We have to leave her alone." Ha ha! I have a great husband.
One more thing. I had the cookie experience at the outlet cookie store the other day! I can't believe they didn't just give those cookies to my devastated children! Plan B? Drive thru Mickey-D's cookies. They take the card. Love you girl.

Unknown said...

I just wanted to say I love your blog because it makes me feel like I'm not CRAZY!!! :-D