Saturday, November 21, 2009

When You Wish Upon a Star



Fellow moms out there with multiple kids know that the more kids you have, the more birthday parties you get invited to. This weekend is a triple play of parties for the kids to attend. I don't mind, actually, I love them because it's always so much fun for the kiddos. But then there's the whole gift-buying thing that gets tricky. Today we decided to try the new Disney outlet. I had all 4 girls with me, and before we went in, I gave them the preemptive lecture. "Now remember, we're not shopping for ourselves, we are just looking for one gift, and then we're out of here. Do not have greedy hearts, and start saying you want everything. Do not touch things, stay close to the stroller, don't covet....."

And then we walk in, and I remember that the people that work at Disney have spent their lives majoring in marketing. The bright colors, the sparkly t-shirts, the ornaments, the lip gloss rings. My eyes start to swirl, and I honestly feel the impulse to buy one of everything. I suddenly feel pretty sure that my kids are deprived, and I'm an unfit mother if I don't buy them a stuffed pooh bear, an Ariel nightgown, and a mug that has Mickey Mouse ears sticking out of it. But I gulp down the urge, and try to focus on my task. Maylin is the first to break, "Mom, I want this..." she picks something up. "Remember what I said girls, we can't want everything, we need to be content." Lorelei sighed, "But it's sooo hard."

I had to agree. Bringing them into that store was like bringing a drug addict into a room full of narcotics, and saying, hey don't touch. Honestly, I don't usually get my kids stuff for no reason, but there was a table of $5 t shirts, and I caved. I let them each pick one out, I had to. They were so cute, I mean where else can you get a shirt for $5? Okay, so I'm pathetic, and should not be allowed in stores. But as is customary for my generation, I refuse to take responsibility for my actions. I blame Walt Disney for creating "the happiest place on earth," and animated movies full of catchy tunes, long-haired princesses, and predictable sidekicks.

Darn that madman.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Walt.... well they look great!

Michelle said...

U always make me laugh out loud!

Coleson & Tate said...

ha, me too. I laughed outloud too. Terry goes, "What?" I told him you'd have to read the blog... :)

Unknown said...

When did you start using the word "covet" with your girls? I wonder if Sophia would get it.
BTW, she would LOVE the Mickey-Minnie "love" t-shirt! So cute!

Jen said...

It's weird because that sounds exactly like my experience at Disney World all week. Yes, those Disney people are cunning. And yes, I had about half my suitcase stuffed with souvenirs. I'm much much weaker than you!!

SomisSurferGirl said...

Oh girl!!!!!!!! AMEN!