Monday, March 26, 2012

Peer Pressure Prevails

For the past 2 years I have held on to my faithful maroon little basic cell phone, and I have resisted the temptation to "upgrade." Despite the fact that I had no internet access, no GPS system, no ability to really see the pictures my friends sent me throughout the day, I continued in my steadfast stubborn resolve. I said, "Iphones are over-rated, we all lived perfectly happy lives without iphones, why do I have to get one now? Iphones, bah humbug, they're so everywhere, they're so in your face, they're so trendy, I refuse to assimilate to the culture....."

So what if all of my 7th graders have nicer cell phones than mine? I don't care, I don't need Angry Birds to make me happy. I don't need phones that play music and allow me to actually hear what the person on the other end of the line is saying. I refuse to be high maintenance, another so-Cal drone who carts around a purse that's bigger than my first car, who wears leggings with boots, who.....well okay, I do those last two things, but still, you get my drift, I'm a rebel at heart.

But here's what happened, my contract was up, I went in, they offered me a deal, I defiantly told them I REFUSE to pay a lot of money for one of thoooose iphones, and then the girl told me I had a credit for getting through my contract, and that if I got the 4 instead of the 4S or whatever, it wouldn't be very much at all, and the next thing I knew..... I had an iphone in my over-sized purse.

And here's the thing I hate. I sort of really LOVE it.

There's this word game called Iassociate2 that I'm obsessed with, and now when I'm watching a movie on TV, and I wonder who is that guy, where have I seen him? I just pick up my IMDB app and the answer appears magically before me, and I started taking pictures of my ridiculously cute children again, and my mom says that when I call her, she can actually hear me now, and there's a flashlight app, and a to do list app, and even a quote of the day by Charles Spurgeon.

It kind of makes me teary just thinking about it, and when I brought it to my class for the first time, one of the kids, shouted, "Mrs. Leaman, got a new phone.... it's an iphone!" Then the whole class stood up and cheered. I'm NOT kidding. I got a standing ovation. It was a moment, it was as if they welcomed me out of the 90's and into the new era. Next thing you know, I'll be taking Pilates classes, buying organic milk, and for fun I'll hang out at the Apple store. Or maybe not.



3 comments:

Michelle said...

Welcome...:)

Sarah said...

You can do your blog posts on it too :) hehe

sonia said...

An app for daily Spurgeon quotes?? I must get that one.