Monday, July 21, 2008

Why, Briony, Why?

Okay so this game is somewhat self -indulgent, but then again so is the entire blogging concept, so whatever, Colleen "tagged" me on her blog, so here goes:

Here's the game, I tell you 6 "unspectacular quirks" of mine, then I mention 6 people and they have to list their quirks on their blog.

1. I subconsciously say hmm all the time, after like every sentence, and even more so when I'm in an emotional situation.  For example if I'm uncomfortable and haven't met someone before, I'll be like hmm, "SO blah, blah, blah, blah, hmmm" and when I'm really mad, Dan says I'll just sit there and be like, "hmm, hmm, hmm" It's weird, I don't know why I do it, and my students have actually counted how many times I do it in a class period, and it's a lot.  

2. I don't really like small children, yet I have 4.

3. I need a LOT of SPACE.  I'm not a hugger, I'm not touchy, and I stand like 6 feet away from the person next in line at the bank.

4.  I'm a nervous talker, can't handle silence in a group of people, and will start running my mouth to keep conversation moving.  Real life example: While taking my driving test at the DMV, I didn't realize it's common for the tester person not to say much, so I talked to her the whole time, "Sorry, I started out the test kind of shaky, I was just really nervous, hmm, I've relaxed a little now, hmm, and feel better, bet you're used to people being nervous, right?  Hmm.  Do you get nervous with all these new drivers?"  That's when she said, "Not usually, but I feel nervous with you."  Needless to say, I failed that time.

5. I'm an obsessive planner.  I usually know what the kids are wearing for Halloween in July.  I schedule the Christmas card photo the 1st of November.  I can't help myself.  But did you see the movie Bella, "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans."

6. Lastly, I can become extremely obsessed with characters in books, TV shows, movies, etc.  For example, when I started watching Gilmore Girls (which was the best TV show writing ever, so witty, so funny, so moving) I had to watch all 7 seasons and I literally would dream about the characters.  I LOVED Luke and Lorelei (and I never saw the show until after my Lorelei was born, so it's just coincidence about the name)  When I was in high school, it only took me a week to read Gone with the Wind which is 1000 pgs. becuz I was consumed by Scarlet and Rhett.  And just to explain the title of my post, on Friday night, I watched Atonement, and I still haven't recovered.  Dan kept asking me what was wrong the next day, and I kept saying, "Why did she do it?  Why, Briony, why?"  I literally felt sick about it.  It was awesome.

So what about all of you quirky folks?  I know you're quirky if you're reading my blog.
I'd like to hear from Jen Oswald, Sam Neylan, Kat Hervey, Kelly Keller, Sara Garate (did you do this already?)  and Amy Sherman (she wrote the Gilmore Girls).

*Note: If you are sensitive about rated R type movies, don't see the movie Atonement, if you like beautiful cinematography, a tragic and depressing storyline, and James McAvoy's haunting, British babeness (and I'm not usually into pale guys),  it's a must see.

8 comments:

Coleson & Tate said...

mmm, really? I couldnt even finish the movie,it was so odd! Maybe it got better. There was barely any talking!! One of these nights maybe I will retry it...

Oh, and your not so quirky with planning--or maybe I am just as much...I am a major planner too...and as long as God "goes along with it" we'll be set for like the next 2 birthday parties for Coleson and baby's nurseries who arent even concieved! =)Maybe I should check out that Bella movie. ha! God reminds me every day he is in control of "my" plans...we dont get pregnant easily and are experiencing further sanctification as we speak!!!! =) okay, I will leave space for others now..!

Jen said...

Can I add one of your quirks? You can't say no, so I'm doing it: You wave your hand in front of your mouth a lot. Have always done it as long as I've known you. For some reason I remember that, but had totally forgotten about the hmmm thing. Good memories. These are all good quirks, by the way. I'm a little nervous to respond...

Unknown said...

did you tag me as a 'get back' because I tagged you in the 'top 5 favorites'? You would. :) :) :)
Ok, well, someday I will get to the quirks...it's a good list. Jennene and her husband and I have had this conversation a few times.
Good stuff. :)

Sara said...

Christina,

Despite the fact that I am quite flattered (yes, I am choosing to be flattered :) that you would tag me, I feel it may be just too self-indulgent to list another 6 quirks about myself on my blog...and risk losing the 3 readers that I currently have. :)

However, I must amen and amen your movie "quirk". Atonement destroyed me for 3 days (and I don't know what it is about Macavoy, but I like it-seen Becoming Jane?!! ;), I wanted to be Whitney Houston in "The Bodyguard" and I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would have been friends with Mel Gibson in "Man Without a Face". And I think starring in a romantic comedy could quite possibly be one of my all time dreams...

Hmmm, your post inspired the "writer" in all of us commentors...maybe we should start another tag of "uncanny abilities"... :)

Unknown said...

OK, I did my homework.

And the hand-waving thing? Completely true. I had forgotten that about you until I read it.

Jennene said...

So great! I felt like we were hanging out in the cafeteria for a few hours as I read this. :)
Thanks for the Atonement review. I wanted to see it but wasn't sure.
Thanks for the fun assessment of your quirks!

Wendy Penberthy said...

hey! YES, I do keep in touch with Sunny, she is actually here right now visiting. You know she lives in Maryland now, right? She will be here in Valencia on Wednesday, I'm hoping to see her, but not sure yet because I think she is passing through on her way to Disneyland. Not sure of her email off hand but I will get it to you!

Colleen said...

yessss way to go on the quirks. I miss hearing you talk. I saw Bella recently... so I hear ya. Love ya and can't wait to give you a big hug next time I see you! ha... nah, just messin with you and your space :)
-colleen