Friday, May 28, 2010

Only in L.A.





Remember back when we were kids, and there were no such thing as American Girl Dolls? It was a sad and empty time for all of us, but fortunately for me, I have 4 daughters that I get to live vicariously through, and I intend to make the most of that. I have been telling my girls that when they turn 7, they would be able to choose their very own American Girl doll to love and cherish as their own. Much to my surprise, that day has come already. Lorelei turns 7 next Saturday, but that date happens to coincide with my cousin's wedding. So we celebrated early. Mimi and Papa came, and we all went to the Grove in L.A. to go the very special and amazing doll store for Lorelei. As we drove there, I said, let's see who can spot someone famous first, and Dan threw out the challenge that it wouldn't count unless we took a picture with them. Much to my surprise, fresh off the American Idole Finale, there at the entrance to Nordstrom was this week's winner, Lee Dewyze! I was so excited, we all talked with him, and took pictures as evidence!

So today was a success, we spotted a celbrity, got a picture with him, drank good coffee, and spoiled Lorelei with the doll of her dreams (still cheaper, by the way, than throwing her a bday party). In gist, we're grateful for these moments that break up the daily grind, and give us something to brag about, I mean blog about to our friends.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Ok, I know I've never met Lorelei (although "blog-know" her well ;), but it looks like she somehow grew up over night. Crazy.

Oh, and I love, love, love the hair salon pic. I've never really been into the AG dolls, but after seeing your pics, I strangely really want to get the girls' dolls' hair done.

I think some people call that "marketing". ;)

Oh, and your celebrity photo is awesome. Way to be ready and look good in case the opportunity arose. It only slightly irritates me... ;)

Sandhya said...

Happy Birthday Lorelei! She is SO old! Seriously, she did look super mature when I saw her last month and it never dawned on me that she was almost 7! It goes by so fast! Love the store, the pic, no clue who the guy was but I'm sure he sings great :)

Sarah said...

Don't tell Lorelei, but I have two American Girl dolls given to me in my teens... don't ask.

Sara said...

We did AG for Ella's 7th birthday last year too. She still LOVES that doll and they've totally got us hooked. Thank goodness for grandparents. Once I started seeing all the c-r-a-p out there for girls that age, I was suddenly just fine with overpriced dolls! She got a subscription to the magazine for her bday too. It's very wholesome and quality.

Oh, and we did cave and go the "Bitty Twins" route so that our 4 year old could play AG too but not have the real doll yet. We got a boy/girl combo and gave one to her and one to our son. Cuts the price in half. And the hours of them playing together has been well worth it! It's something about the hair...

:)

Lorelie is adorable!

Unknown said...

D and I were just looking at this post and he realized that you have three friends named Sara(h) who all commented here. WHAT ARE THE ODDS?!!!