Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Gym & I

When I say I had anxiety about joining a gym, I'm not exaggerating. I literally had nightmares 3 nights in a row. Walking in there, I automatically feel soooo stupid, like everyone around me knows I'm a total poser. Even though my tennis shoes look brand new, they're actually 3 years old. Here are 5 reasons to feel good about yourselves, and further evidences that you're probably in better shape than I am.

5. The expression most often escaping my trainer's lips is..... "Wait, it looks like I'd better lighten up this machine for you, a little less weight may be more manageable for you. (As my arms and legs twitch against my will, I smile nervously, no, really, I'm fine).

4. At one point she had me lifting 2.5 lb free weights, and I could barely manage them.

3. The old people at the gym run faster than me and lift more weights than I do. And when I say old, I'm talking oxygen tubes are coming out of their noses (no lie).

2. After 4 trips to the gym, today was my record of time on the elliptical machine: 11 minutes... thank you.

1. I didn't understand that to get the elliptical machine started, you had to begin pedaling, and then once I started, I was going so slowly, the machine actually began flashing the word PAUSE in red. One person commented they didn't even know that was possible. Wow, I'm awesome.

4 comments:

Leaman said...

you keep me laughing!!!

Rhaquel Hughey said...

You make me laugh auntie. Keep up the good work. Miss you all! - Rhaquel

Kaylee said...

i down right busted out laughing in my little corner office all by myself! That was hilarious. 2.5#.. that's funny!! you're adorable gym or not!!!!!!!!! missing you all so much. Carol

Unknown said...

I'm sorry, but I am laughing so hard right now! The Eliptical flashing "pause" was the best! Just so you know, 90% of the people in the gym don't know what they're doing either. Most of them have been gym "posers" for most of their adult life LOL!
I'm really happy to hear you're exercising! Good for you:) We all feel like fish outa water somewhere! I've been exercising 6 days a week for the last... 22 years (wow! that's long) and I STILL spell the word "exercise" wrong the first time. I always have to re-type it Haha! That's actually not really funny considering we plan to homeschool:/