Friday, March 18, 2011

Old Dog, New Tricks?

Imagine for a moment your greatest fear.... is it public speaking? Climbing treacherous heights? Re-taking geometry? For me, all fear revolves around anything athletic, anything that involves running, catching, straining your muscles, or perhaps even sweating. Part of this of course, stems from years of humiliation during the P.E. classes the state forced upon me as part of my "education," part of this can be attributed to my extreme lack of physical coordination, and then there is the factor that the muscles most people have seem to be missing in my own personage. I'm the scrawny-shouldered kid that was always picked last, and who, now over-compensates for her insecurity with sarcasm and disdain for all things healthy.

And so it was with great fear & trepidation, that I stepped foot in to a gym this week. And not only did I attempt to "work out," but I actually paid money to become a member there. Was it a sudden lapse in my sanity? A pre-mature mid-life crisis? Or simply the desire to wear a bathing suit again without having to worry about nauseating the people around me?

I'm going to go with the latter one. When the overseer of the gym asked me if I was here to "get healthy," I said, "oh, dear heavens no, this is just a vain thing...you know, I want to look good." Apparently she'd never heard that response before, which leads me to believe, other people are lying about their motives to exercise. But that's besides the point.

Ultimately, the point of this blog is simply to state that a miracle has occurred, I went to a gym 3 times this week and worked out with a trainer each time. If you actually know me, you'd realize this is indeed miraculous. My sister who's always dreaded the idea of attention, said it would be the equivalent of her signing up for acting classes. I almost expected the earth to shift, and Obama to release a press conference saying he wanted less government involvement in our health care system, or for Oprah to admit she's not omniscient, or maybe for a Christian character to be portrayed on television in a positive light..... but of course none of those things happened.

I did, however, break a sweat today. And it's going to take a whole separate blog post to recount to you how incredibly awkward this whole experience has been. So if you're not laughing now at my irony, you will perhaps be laughing later... at my expense.


7 comments:

AmyLeite said...

WOW!!! What gym? Welcome to the gym rat world...it's a great one!!! So happy for you. By the way, I know a woman who joined a gym and was asked by the management, "How much weight do you want to lose" and she replied, "None, I'm here to be healthy." They stared at her in shock! :)

Unknown said...

Who knows....maybe soon, you'll be meeting me at the beach for a run. Maybe even when it's raining.And....greet me with a "hug" I would like that :)

stephanie said...

i just got very confused and thought i was reading the wrong blog.

good for you! and how on earth did this not come up last night? were we too busy talking about superficial and shallow things?

Lucia Leaman said...

ablenerGood for you,Love,Luci

Jen said...

No way!!!! I don't know what to say except good luck. I feel your awkward gym pain. And when you're feeling like a poser, remember that I own a North Face down jacket. Yeah, like I'm ever going to climb a cold mountain.

Sybrand and Beth de Swardt said...

You need to try a spinning class......

Sara said...

Obviously I've been out of blogland for months and months. I'm trying to catch up on old news I guess, but this just made me laugh out loud! The whole gym scenario is exactly what I've been doing the last couple of months. It is killing me and I hate it but my vanity is giving into it - to maintain yes, not to actually improve, apparently. I even take my kids to the kid care which I swore I would never do. And no, it is not for health reasons. Otherwise how do you explain, the pizza for breakfast, the constant intake of dr. pepper, the addiction to chocolate, and the worn path from my driveway to the drive thru? I SO relate. In fact, there are several things on your blog that I am laughing at because we have so much in common. (I'm taking my daughter and 2 friends to pedicures tomorrow for her birthday because - yes, it will SAVE us money! I thought I was so crafty.) Makes me miss you! :)