Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Disney Store is Closing!

  Okay, so last night, Kat (*my sitcom neighbor) calls and is all like, "The Disney store in Thousand Oaks is closing, everything's on sale, what do you need...." So guess where I went first thing this morning?  I couldn't possibly pass up the chance that there might be fantastic deals awaiting me at the mall.  So then I was like sneaking stuff to the register for future birthdays.  I love that 2 & a half year olds are so easily distracted that you can actually buy their presents right in front of them.  Anyway, good times all around.
And good times were had this weekend, it was my birthday, I turned 32.  Here's 2 signs that I'm getting old.  First of all on Friday night a couple of my girlfriends and I went to dinner.  The waiter was like staring at me for a minute, and then he said, "hey do I know you, you look familiar?"  For an instant my ego kicked in and I thought, is this young kid honestly trying to hit on me?  But then that bubble was quickly burst when he said, "Mrs.Leaman right?  I had you in 8th grade for English class, I just graduated from college...."
   Uhh, yeah, okay, thanks.
Then on Saturday night, my bestest and only little sister watched the rugrats for me so that Dan & I could go out on a date.  We went to dinner and then a movie.  We arrived at the theater at a weird time, so we missed Ironman and Prince Caspian and so we choose some movie, The Visitor which I'd heard Regis say was good.  When we gave our tickets to the teenager to rip for us, I ask, hey have you heard anything good about this movie?  He shrugs, and says, "I don't know, old people like it."  Dan & I were cracking up, and guess what?  I loved it, so there it is folks, I'm officially aging....
     Meanwhile, counting down to the birthday that actually counts, Lorelei turns 5 on the 5th, who knew preparing goodie bags could be so stressful?

And speaking of stress, on a serious note, I'm reading a book called Crazy Love by Francis Chan, he wrote this great reminder for us:

  Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enought to take care of what's happening in our lives.
   Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, our lack of grace towards others, or our tight grip of control.
 
* footnote: When I refer to Kat as my sitcom neighbor, what I mean is she's like the neighbor character in a sitcom that comes by every day.  She compares herself to Erkel, but in her defense, I compare her more to Ethel on I Love Lucy, except thinner, prettier, and far more stylish.  Hmm, I guess that makes Chet Fred Mertz.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

SO much about this post was hilarious and made me laugh out loud!
1st-cool that you have time to read ANYthing
2nd-I just had my 35th b-day and loved you're 'you know you're old when...'. I had several myslef...like when you schedule a teeth cleaning on your 35th....and totally don't care
3rd-that you have a sitcom neighbor..THAT makes me jealous!
thanx for posting!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the updated status. I feel whole now.

Sitcom neighbor reminds me of the show "The Hogan Family," and that red-haired lady that lived next door. She had a Minnesota accent...I forget her name.

But I'm with on you Chet=Fred.

SomisSurferGirl said...

I love it! I laughed so hard!