Monday, February 16, 2009

The Baby of the Family








So for years, my sister and I have given my mom untold amounts of grief about her treatment of our youngest brother, Mikie, the "baby of the family." All he has to do is give my mom a look, and she runs to the kitchen and makes him a grilled cheese sandwich. What, what's that you say, you need some money, here, will a hundred do? Can I do your laundry for you? What? You don't like that mean professor and you wanna drop that class? Okee Dokee! Whereas I swear, she made us do our own ironing in second grade and when we were like 6, she would say, if you want a lunch, you have 2 hands, make it yourself.

Well, now the joke's on me. Now I have my very own, "baby of the family," Miss Morgan Paige, currently 19 & a half months. There's 2 things going on when I look at her. The first one is guilt, because I drag her around to pick up her sisters and I often ignore her while she stomps around the house because I'm so busy reprimanding and refereeing the other 3. The second thing I feel is this sad sort of tugging feeling at my heart. She's the last one I have in diapers, the last one with a pacifier obsession, the last one that talks with baby talk, she's SOOOOO CUTE! I can't stand it!

So here it is; my latest confession, my youngest child can do no wrong in my eyes. The other 3 are mischevious, ungrateful little creatures, but not my Shmorgie-Morgie.... and with sentiments like that she'll probably be the one that ends up in prison or worse, on a reality show.

7 comments:

Beth said...

lol, I have those feelings too.

Unknown said...

Your mom's preference was probably compounded by the fact that he was the only boy!

But I am the same way with Jonathan. The kid is like a cartoon character. Everything he does is funny and cute.

Who knows what it'll be like with Maddie...probably even worse! People who see us usually say, "oh, she'll be the princess." and I can't stand it! But they're probably more right than I'd like to admit.

The Parsons' blog said...

First of all, the picture of her going down the slide with her leg all twisted is so funny! But I'm sure she didn't think so. Secondly, I have the same feelings with my baby, and what is sad is she is already getting to be so naughty.

Sandhya said...

Morgan is just too cute! I don't blame you for the extra attention...

The Parsons' blog said...

hey, so I haven't gotten your email address?? So maybe that means you don't want to keep reading the blog?? If that's the case, I understand...hopefully you don't mind if I keep reading yours though! Here's my email if you do want to be an invited guest -
saralp30@yahoo.com

Sara said...

Yes, I already feel the guilt affecting my parenting. For now it's Tess who gets the free pass far too often. She just has this look that makes me laugh. Grady is far to screechy to get much sympathy around here. This fourth will be pushing me over the edge I'm sure!

Sara said...

Oh, and Morgan does look awfully irresistible!