Thursday, February 12, 2009

When I Was 15...

So, basically when I was 15, I was wearing tapered jeans, overly-plucking my eyebrows, and making collages out of magazine pictures for the back of my door in an attempt to be artistic and profound.  Meanwhile, at the age of 15 (I think) one of my students just turned this poem in:

Snow White
by D. Sauerbier

It happened once upon a time, or so the story goes,
Everything was perfect; no worries, pain, or woes.
But there was one condition, on which that life relied:
And to the world's destruction, an order they defied.

Snow White ate the apple, and the whole world died.

What once was pure and golden, was shadowed, dark, and cold.
What was meant to live forever, withered and grew old.
Truths never before questioned, were buried deep in lies.
Blackened hearts turned to stone that let the light pass by.

Snow White bit the apple, and the whole world died.

Then came a light far greater than any seen before.
Sin was illuminated, and lost hopes were restored.
But the story wasn't over, there was much still to decide:
Would they follow light and goodness, or keep within their night?

The Prince kissed Snow White, and the world opened its eyes.

Each time a soul surrendered to be led from wicked days,
The great light would rejoice and gladly show the way.
If ever their feet wandered, the light would catch their fall;
Side-by-side with it they walked, until homeward it did call.

The Prince Welcomed his bride, and happily ever after lived all.

Wow, a metaphor for the fall and redemption of man using an allusion to a classic fairy tale princess?  Um, yeah, what were you doing when you were 15? 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

uuuuu...not that (writing theological poems, that is).
nice work from your student!

The Parsons' blog said...

So what are you like the greatest English teacher ever??!! Wow. I'm pretty sure I wasn't writing stuff like that at 15...nor could I even begin to write that at 30!

Jen said...

Um...I'm feeling a little slacker-ish now. I think at 15 I was standing next to you in your cool tapered jeans, while I was wearing clothes 3 times too big for me. AWESOME!