Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fall Observations

* First of all the Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks are like having pumpkin pie in a cup. Hello happiness.

* Secondly, if you know me, you know I've had sinus issues since the 4th grade. I perpetually have to blow my nose. In elementary school they used to say I was responsible for killing the rainforest because I went through so much kleenex. Well, now I'm using a netti pot sinus contraption and it's sort of working. Too bad it feels like I'm being water boarded every time I use it.

* Thirdly, today whilst lecturing on the short story genre to 17 bored teenagers, I went over a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle story with the kids (you know the Sherlock Holmes author). I was explaining how Holmes and Watson's characters are the perfect complement to one another, and it occurred to me that Dr. Greg House and his BFF Wilson are modern day replicas of the two. Seriously there are tons of parallels, I could write a paper on it, if I had time, and if I actually thought anyone would want to read it.

* Lastly my pastor's sermon on Sunday was AMAZING, so go to fccoxnard.org and listen to it sometime. It will make you reflect on our humanity and God's sovereignty and how they all tied together in the account of Abraham, Sarah, Ishmael, and Isaac. I had read the story so many times, and yet never thought about so many aspects of it that my pastor pointed out. If I were interviewing with Oprah right now, I'd tell her it was full of "Ah-Ha moments," for me.

* And speaking of Oprah, you know how I had a list going for a while called, TTTMK (Things to Teach my Kids). Well here's #3: You're replaceable. I mean not as my kid, of course, but this week, I saw Journey on Oprah, and they were talking about how their lead singer walked out on the group, and now they have a new lead singer that's even better than him and super humble and inspiring. They found the guy on You Tube, and he's from the Philippines. So don't get too big for your britches someday and act like a diva, because if you do, well two words people, two words : You Tube.

* Okay, gotta stop observing, and go start grading essays. The red pen awaits.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so with you on the Pumpkin Spice Latte.

However I have to burst your bubble a little on House. The originator of the show is a big Sherlock Holmes fan, and he based House (get it?!) and Wilson on Holmes and Watson. So what you are seeing is true, but you're not the first to think of it. That being said, I would be happy to read your paper about it.

Sara said...

Oh, the pumpkin spice latte!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still writes essays in her head.