Friday, October 2, 2009

Learn a Lesson from Letterman

Numbers 32:23 But if you will not do so, behold, you have sinned against the LORD, and be sure your sin will find you out.

Most of us can remember our parents using certain catch phrases over and over again (Examples: I'll give you something to cry about, One more word, and I'm pulling this car over, or my mom used to say, "The first shall be last, the last shall be first..." etc). Well, Dan said, that growing up, he can remember his dad always warning them, "Be sure your sins will find you out..." I try to teach the girls that you're not just doing what's right for my sake, but are you going to do what's right when nobody's looking? Are you doing it for the Lord, because He knows all, He sees all, and be sure, your sins will find you out. I thought of that when I saw the headlines for the David Letterman story this morning on my yahoo page.

Although Dave's story is far more dramatic, shameful, and tragic (much like that of King David's when he was confronted by the prophet Nathan), we each have our own version of an instance when my father in law's warning from the bible, caught up with us.

A funny example took place with Dan. As a young adult, out with his friends, he was living it up and having a good time. He had gone to a restaurant with his buddies and the service was slow. So at the end of their dinner, one of his friends suggested they take off without paying the bill. He agreed, and the group of them headed out to a bar/club/whatever.... After standing in line for a while, they all had to show their ID to gain entrance into the place. It was then, Dan checked his pockets and realized he had left his wallet at the restaurant they had just ditched out on paying.

Ahh, sweet justice, funny in retrospect, not so funny in the moment. I of course could site many instances of this type of thing in my own life, but Dan's scenario's way more entertaining and ironic. In gist, perhaps each time we see another celebrity or politician fall from grace, we should shudder and be reminded, our sins will indeed find us out, one way or another!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a great verse for childrearing. Thanks, Dan's dad.

Little Lesiw said...

My mom would tell us a version of that as well (your sins finding you out). I think it was more along the lines of 'God has a way of making sure parents find stuff out.'

Growing up we weren't allowed to go to school dances. So I thought I was so clever to spend the night with a girlfriend and say we were going 'bowling.' Well, to make a long story short, my mom thought something was 'up', and drove by the highschool and saw on the marquee that there was a dance. She called my friend's house after we had left and her little sister told my mom we had gone to the dance. Yeah. Nice. So I can personally attest that your sins DO find you out! LOL