Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Chariots of Fire





Please begin playing the Chariots of Fire theme song in your mind as you read. This weekend Dan and my sister, Bethie did a 10k in Thousand Oaks. Neither of them had ever done an official race before. Their only "training" was running 6 miles together every Sunday for the past 3 or 4 weeks, but they still were awesome. So awesome in fact, Bethie got 2nd place for the women, 1st in her age category. Move over FloJo (sadly, I can't think of any other runners to refer to here, and she probably hasn't competed since 1990, but you get the idea), here comes less than 5 feet of muscle, stamina, and determination. I'm pretty sure we can't actually be related.

Please note the beauty of the Westlake/Thousand Oaks area, I mean if you're ganna run somewhere, why not here?

Also note, as they sweat from the heat and exertion, I hold on to a cup of coffee.... much more relaxing. (Oh and by the way, yes we have 4 kids, but Noelle wasn't being cooperative, and was wondering around outside of the picture).

4 comments:

Jen said...

WHAT!?!?! Bethie has a medal? That's so cool. I feel vicariously triumphant. Well done Dan & Beth. It's nice to know there are people out there who can balance out my laziness.

mjseverance said...

Christina,
I just saw your blog and chuckled, because I just posted some pictures on facebook of our lives lately. One section is the trail race Mark just ran this weekend. He runs one of the hardest trail races out there (10 miles, just south of Pt. Mugu) and I take the kids to get donuts and Starbuck's and then meet him when he is finished. It is actually a totally fun thing we do. He runs 5 or 6 a year. We drove through Somis and I thought of you. So pretty out there. That is all. It just made me smile to know I am not alone! :)

Sandhya said...

Very impressive! Dan your looking like your college days :) And Beth is tiny and pure muscle! Good job you two!

The Parsons' blog said...

Wow! Nice work, Dan. And your sister looks amazing. She needs to come train me. I'm pretty sure you have it in you too, Christina!