Monday, October 12, 2009

Nit-Pickin

As it turns out the term, "nit-pickin," took on whole new meaning for me this past weekend. A nit is a LICE EGG, yep a lice egg, and the term nit-pickin' comes from the idea of people picking nits out of hair. (Start scratching your head right now as you read on). Basically, a few families at church have gotten lice, and because my kids have been in contact with them a bit, I've had the subject on my mind. So on Saturday, I saw something small and sticky in Lorelei's hair, and I FREAKED because I had heard these tiny lice eggs are sticky, they kind of stick to the hair follicles. I bagged it and took it to my friend's house. We both totally thought this was an egg (though it may have been marshmallow from the smores we ate the night before). I FREAKED out more, and threw it away, terrified it would hatch and infest my house. In retrospect, I should have kept it, instead of doing what I did next.

First I spent $100 on lice shampoo/treatments/etc. Then I came home and from Sat. afternoon on, I have been running my washer/dryer. Heat kills lice, so every stuffed animal, hair product, pillow, blanket, etc. has been run through my dryer. I treated all of the girls hair and then straightened all of their hair with my scorchin' hot straighter (again heat kills lice, so this seemed pretty smart to me). I almost dyed my hair, because hair dye chemicals kill lice. Basically, I've been going through everything in my house like a tasmanian devil on a mission. In gist, after hours and hours of combing through every strand of my girls' hairs, I don't think any of them actually have it, but I'm still taking precautions and going to continue checking them all week.

So the question is what have I learned from this?

1. I tried to maintain perspective, this was not a life-threatening illness, but it would be SERIOUSLY INCONVENIENT.

2. I have SOOOOO much compassion for my friend whose kids had it. The implications of having it are a HUGE PAIN, your life stops because you can't be around people, and to take all of the kids stuff and clean it takes forever.

3. Husbands are not helpful in these instances. For some reason the idea of lice sends chills down my spine, whereas Dan thinks it's no biggie. All he was worried about was the fact that I had spent $100 dollars on shampoos. He thought I was "over-reacting," as if that's possible.

4. And finally, be grateful for the boring day you may be having right now.

8 comments:

The Parsons' blog said...

OH man, I can relate. Stella gave me a lice scare and like you I went and bought the shampoo and treated her and myself because I could not stop scratching my head. Then I washed EVERYTHING. I got crazy and was like - well, that coat was touching that coat - because you know lice can jump. They can jump far. Ends up she didn't have it, but stuff got clean real quick at our house. ;) And boys don't care because all they have to do is shave their heads. I'm going to use the straightener idea - brilliant! And just so you know, I just scratched my head. Stella's teacher was looking for lice check volunteers. NO THANKS. Not for me.

Anonymous said...

Uhhh..yeah, we did also get lice as a family a few years ago, and it was horrible. Those things sure do spread lickety split fast dont they. My daughter got it from a friend at school, and by the time we knew what hit us , it was everywhere.

I don't understand why the stuff at the stores no longer works, guess they are immune, but seems only more natural stuff seems to work better from what Ive been hearing. Anyway, we used www.licetokill.com and thats what worked for us.

I understand what you mean by spending hundreds, and still nothing helped. It can be truly frustrating. I was 1/2 tempted to take my empty bottles and return them...i got that upset.

Anyway, great post, and sorry to hear you suffered w/ them too...but we are glad its over!

Sheila

AmyLeite said...

Glad to hear your girls probably don't have it. We missed you and the girls at church yesterday and I've been praying for your sanity! I'm glad you so quickly can have a humorous take on the situation. You and K have made me glad my home infestation was fleas and not lice! I washed everything too but the kids and I were free to leave the house which is a big difference!

Beth said...

Ha...so I start reading and think...Oh...NO...I thought we were in the clear because the kids weren't really around any of the other kids at church...so as I read I kept thinking...look at all the work I need to do (and the $100 shampoo and hair dye is an AWESOME idea). Then, my heart rate slows down and I AM VERY THANKFUL for our quiet day at home. And now, my head suddenly itches just thinking about it all :D

stephanie said...

so after you called me saturday, i almost called you back to tell you that you must blog about this. and lucky me, you did! i love your narration.

and... you are a genius with the flat iron idea. genius.

Lindsey said...

I start itching my head as soon as anyone starts talking about the horrible "L" word. Our school tends to get lots of outbreaks- mostly from sharing headphones in the computer lab- and it gives me the heebie jeebies! And it's just yucky! But it happens to even the cleanest people!! You had some good techniques for dealing with it! :)

Edwards Family said...

I am laughing and itching my head at the exact same time. Thanks for the story. I guess that's one good thing about having a bald baby. Oh, all the fun things to look forward to!

Sybrand and Beth de Swardt said...

Very funny. So, I was in spinning class today and watching the Zumba class next door. There was a girl in it that looked so much like you I did a double take but then I thought- No, it can't be Christina because for one I am in Africa and more importantly that girl is way too coordinated to be her and she is breaking a sweat :)/