Tuesday, December 15, 2009

All Time Best Presents

The truth about the whole gift-giving thing is it's really only fun to give the kids gifts. First of all because you can get them something in the dollar section at Target and they're thrilled, and secondly because they are still wide-eyed and (fairly) grateful when they receive new things. However, reality never is quite like the movie moments on Lifetime in December, but I will admit, I have been blessed with some pretty awesome gifts in the past. Here's my top 5.

5. A brown leather jacket from Dan. This was a score because a) it fit b) I actually loved it c) I still can get away with wearing it even though I've had it for years, because it's classy d) I was stunned he picked it out by himself, I hadn't even realized I wanted a leather jacket.

4. Western Barbie: She didn't just have a cowboy hat and tassles hanging from her shirt, if you pressed her back, she winked and her eyelid was covered in bright blue eyeshadow. She was awesome and inspiring. I couldn't wait to wear turquoise eye shadow because of her.

3. A porcelain China doll that my mom gave me when I was about 9. She was so beautiful. I still have her, pink pantaloons and all, and I'm going to pass her on to my girls when they're older.

2. A Swatch 2-way pink telephone and my own personal phone line when I was 13. This gift brought tears to my eyes and was probably the biggest parenting mistake my parents ever made. I LOVED it, and it was before caller ID so prank calls were a way of life. Ahhh, the glory days.

1. The Ultimate, the microwave that cooks things with light bulbs, come on! Does it get any better than that? I baked cakes in tiny, circular pans by adding water to bags of mysterious batter mixes that came with my u-bake oven, and they took like hours to cook, but at the time I felt like Martha Stewart must feel after she milks her cows and churns her own butter each morning, like one proud little mother hen. Whoever thought of a light bulb cooking things is a genius. They should get a technology award of some sort, forget flip cameras and ipods, light bulbs that bake - you can't put a price on that.


2 comments:

Edwards Family said...

Never had an easy bake oven. Maybe that's why you can bake and I can just burn!

Jen said...

Ok - your Swatch phone may have also been one of MY all-time favorite gifts. I LOVED that phone. Oh and I don't think we would have had nearly as much fun back then if there was caller ID. Bah Humbug, Caller ID!!