Thursday, May 26, 2011

Finale Finality

It's always a strange time of year for me as May disappears into June, and the responsibilities of teaching and taking the girls to school are almost over, but NOT QUITE. I start to get giddy and excited, and then when I see that there are still some key things to accomplish before I celebrate, my mood will plummet into an "I'm so overwhelmed" state. I also have noticed that things get a little more frantic this time of year because birthdays approach, kids get antsy to be done with school, and I begin to contemplate all the household duties and repairs that I've been putting off till summer.

So what does one do when things get crazy, and time is scarce? One watches season finales of television shows of course. I watched the Am. Idol finale and of course the 3 day Oprah worship that took place as she closed out her 25 years in the talk show business. This is what I have to say regarding all of these things. I do like Oprah. As a person, I think she's fairly down to earth at times, and likeable. However, she has a tendency to take herself too seriously, and that can be ANNOYING. On her final show, she practically preached a sermon. Her platform is basically humanism, what man can accomplish within himself if he just believes..... blah, blah, blah. Sprinkle in some new age type philosophies about energy and karma and what you put out, you take in, blah, blah, blah. Some Christians are puzzled as to why I would even bother watching. I basically watch the show because sometimes she has fun guests, I am riveted by human interest stories, and hey, everyone appreciates a good make-over episode from time to time. But as a Christian, I am always conscious of her underlying agenda. I think too that it actually is important to see what the world is currently embracing and excited about. So that's why I watched.

Regarding American Idol: I thought this was great entertainment, some funny parts, some weird parts, and a genuinely nice kid named Scotty who won the whole dang thing. He seemed sweet. Kind of weird that I'm probably about his mother's age, but whatever. Jennifer Lopez was beyond beautiful, and Jack Black's appearance made me excited about Kung Fu Panda II.

With that, the countdown till summer continues...


1 comment:

AmyLeite said...

You (and I) are no where NEAR Scotty's mom's age! Scary! Did you see her in the audience?!? It was very cool how he thanked God after he won. I've never heard that on AI. Missed you last night. Hope you are making it through!