Monday, May 16, 2011

Here Kitty, Kitty....



For the past few years I have been the only one on the block without a pet. I've used the argument that I have 4 children, and plenty to do, so WHY would I ever add to those responsibilities, a fur-shedding, money-demanding, often questionable smelling creature who will most likely destroy something I own? But alas, my babies are all out diapers, they're a little more self-reliant, and my excuses have run out. After all, doesn't every kid need a pet at one time or another in their childhood?

Personally, I grew up with cats. My mom is bordering on one of those crazy cat ladies that feeds outdoor cats and has her own 3 indoor cats. She even used to have her kitties bred so that we could have kittens to play with. My sister owns two cats that probably cost more than it did for me to give birth. So the cat thing is in my blood. I LOVE kitty cats. I not so much likey stinky, drooly dogs. Cats are potty trained and they practically just become a part of the decor. They're pertty, and I like them. Yes, I know that the majority of people love dogs, but I'm way too selfish to walk them, train them, and put up with their neediness. I'll stick with cats any day.

And I have to say, my girls LOVE them. How do I know this? Because they fight over them EVERY day. The poor cats have been so overly handled, I can't believe they haven't tried to curl up in a fetal position and started rocking back and forth. Noelle was saying to one of them, "Are you trying to get away from Mommy?" as she clutched him in her grasp. In that moment, she reminded me a little bit of Kathy Bates in Misery.

Ahh, kids, ahhh cats, ahhh kids and cats, so cute.

And their names are Gatsby and Bella, after 2 literary masterpieces... you know The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and Twilight by Stephanie Meyers.

What? Why is that funny?



3 comments:

Sara said...

Ha ha! Love your kitties' names. And I believe, like beauty, "great literature" is in the eye of the reader. ;) However, is that 3 kittens I see in the last photo?!?

Oh, and just so you know, you're not the last person in the world to get a pet. I am. But, after my kids try and use your blog post as further rationale as to why I'm the meanest mom, I will simply tell them, "Only pretty people get kittens". The end. ;)

Unknown said...

Cats and kids ARE so cute. I wish I could have one. Or two. But I am blessed with a bunch of friends who are deathly allergic and so I face the terrible choice of never seeing my friends again or indulging my kitten desires.

Rhaquel Hughey said...

Miss you guys! - Rhaquel