Sunday, March 9, 2008

Heidi

So you know how sometimes, someone you haven't talked to in a while pops back in to your life seemingly out of nowhere? Well, my former college roommate, Heidi, and I recently got back in touch. Now that she's doing the mom thing, she calls more (people mistakenly think I know stuff about raising kids since I have 4). She has a 16mo. old girl named Navy.
So first lemme tell you this about Heidi. As former TMC alumni could attest to, she stuck out like crazy on our conservative little campus, big wallet chains hanging from her belt, baggy, saggy pants and combat boots, and she bears an eerie resemblance to Angelina Jolie. She had a terrible old car that she had spray painted black with the #54 on it, and she drove me to Visalia, and the brakes went out on the grapevine in the snow, she remained calm.
But really, my favorite memory was this: She would always borrow my stuff, and so one day when the annual finals week gift basket arrived at our door, I swore I would not share one thing in it with her. (The school would have parents buy these baskets and send them to their kids during finals to cheer them up, and they were full of crackers and chips and chocolate and stuff). And true to my selfish little word, I remained. I ate everything from my basket in front of her, and refused to let her have any of it, on principle you know. Later in the week our phone rang, Heidi was out. It was her mom, and she wanted to know if Heidi had received the basket SHE had sent to HER. I had just assumed the basket was from my parents because they had sent them to me in the past. Any of you ever heard of eating humble pie, and begging for forgiveness? Well that's what I had to do, but what was so great, was the fact that when I told Heidi that the basket had actually been for her, she just laughed hysterically for like an hour.
So what's my point? Well, Heidi texted me on Friday morning that she was in labor, and to please pray. She was only 26 weeks pregnant, and despite efforts, Judah Lee, another baby girl was born to Heidi 3mos. early at 3pm Friday afternoon. She weighs 1lb. 30z and she's fighting for her life. If she makes it through the next few weeks, Heidi can expect around 4mos. in the NICU. Please take a moment this week to pray for her and the baby, and for little Navy and her husband at home. As moms, we all know how difficult this must be.

1 comment: