Thursday, April 2, 2009

Sam Tyler's my Boyfriend

Okay, so for those of you who know me, I do this annoying thing when I become obsessed with a TV show personality where I refer to certain characters as my boyfriend for a season.  Don't worry, Dan recognizes that these tend to be fairly quick phases that pass in and out of my life; he's very secure. 

Anyway, this year I watched the entire 17 episodes of Life on Mars with Dan, and the two of us absolutely loved the show.  Apparently, we were the only ones, because it ended up being cancelled after only one season, so they had to wrap up the entire mystery of it all in one vaguely disappointing finale.  Finale aside, the other 16 shows were great, GREAT I tell you.  There were constant ironic references to The Wizard of Oz, complex and engaging characters, super funny moments, ridiculous fight scenes, awesome - makes you wish there was a soundtrack music, and a love story that just gradually grew on you like a really good pair of sweats, you know the kind you don't ever wanna give away even though you've had them since your freshman year in college?  And the main character, Sam Tyler, had these pained expressions at times on his face that just absolutely broke my heart, and well, made me want to be his girlfriend.

So despite the fact that I'm pretty sure that absolutely none of you watched it, or even really care about my Ebert inspired rant, I just had to pay tribute.   

1 comment:

stephanie said...

i SO miss watching tv shows with you way back when...