Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Was That Helpful?

I read this parenting book that advises parents not to just say, "Don't hit your sister," or "Don't draw on the wall," but instead to get them to think about why their actions are wrong, you ask them questions.  For example, "Was it kind to hit your sister?"  Logically then, they realize no it wasn't kind, and I want to be kind, so that was wrong.  In theory, this is an excellent concept.  In practice in my home, it often falls flat, when my children show sociopathic tendencies, and reply no, it wasn't kind, and look as if they really don't care that they are mean, rotten bullies to one another.

During the summer, the days get long, and I find myself repeating this question a hundred times a day, "Was that helpful?"

    When you decided to put sunscreen in your sister's hair?
    When you decided to paint your own toenails with fuscia nailpolish?
    When you turned on the hose and soaked your little sister?
    When you left your wet bathingsuit from swim lessons on the carpet behind the couch?
     When you poured an entire bottle of glitter onto the kitchen table? 
     When you colored on the cover of a library book with ink markers?  
     When you saw that your sister had taken off her poopy diaper and then didn't think to mention it to mom, until I almost stepped in it?

All of these things really happened in my household today, and I found myself asking, sometimes screaming, "WAS THAT HELPFUL?!?"

I think I need to read another book.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, I can so relate to this. Have you asked the question to Dan yet?

Beth said...

LOL...yes, L....O....N....G summer days!

Jennene said...

In one day? Wow.