Monday, June 25, 2012

Happy Almost Birthday!

Morgan turns 5 Saturday, & I guiltily realized, I hadn't ever thrown her a party before, though my in laws gave her a few when we visited with her cousins, I, the mom, had never made the efforts to give her a little shindig of her own out here, so I put together a birthday picnic in our front yard today for some of her friends.  Here are my tips for keeping things low - key:

1. The dollar section at Target was my inspiration, not pinterest.  Here's why, pinterest is adorable & amazing, but it requires MAKING things.  Instead of slaving over a needle and thread, I found a bunch of red, white, & blue stuff for 4th of July & used that as our theme.

2. A kid party = kid food.  I made PB & Js, a few coldcuts for the moms, fruit, and chips, no time or $ for stuffed mushrooms & risotto, let's keep it basic.

3. Forget originality: I went old school and we had a ring toss, and pin the tale on the donkey, it was fun.

 4. Keep things moving.  A party with a bunch of kids under the age of 5 is bound to end with tears and tired tantrums so as soon as people get here, we eat, we sing, we play games, we keep things rolling, conscious of moms who have brief windows of time before naptime calls.

 5. Cupcakes rule, they are so much easier than slicing cake.  Can I get an amen on that ladies?

Okay, so now that you all are thinking I'm the laziest mom ever, I'll show you some pics.  Oh & one more thing, I had the party on a Monday afternoon, gives moms a chance to get out while Dad's at work, and it doesn't take up someone's precious Saturday, because let's face it we all have enough to do as families on Saturdays!







1 comment:

Melissa said...

I think that party looks fantastic! While I disagree with you on cupcakes, (I'm a fatty that wants the extra layers of frosting)I think that's a great party for a five year old. My fondest birthday party memories growing up weren't because we had fancy food or handmade decorations, they were because of the people: my family, my friends, and because birthdays always meant new books. Happy Birthday to Miss Morgan! She is adorable.