Monday, December 29, 2008

The Paradox of Christmas









































Christmas to me was....

relaxing, yet stressful (no school or work, yet obligations persist, and "vacationing" with 4 kids should be called something other than vacationing)

exciting, yet depressing (something different, a break in the routine, fun to watch the kids, depressing to come home and unpack and think about the bills this month rang up)

restful, yet exhausting (didn't have to get up to take kids to school so I stayed up late, yet still they awoke as if they had someplace to go at 7)

warm, yet cold (cozy times by the fireplace spent with family drinking Starbucks, but freezing weather in Visalia)

Merry, yet grumpy (Yay, I got my husband a really cool sports coat from J.Crew, boo hoo, he doesn't like it, and I'm annoyed)

Entertaining, yet dull (Got to see 2 movies in the past 10 days, it's a miracle 7 lbs and Benj. Button which reminded me of Forest Gump, also got to drive in the van for 6 hours)

Anyway, I guess Christmas is just like life, up & down, happy moments and dissapointing ones, for now I'll focus on this happy thought; I'm wearing a new shirt, I've got leftover Christmas candy galore in my kitchen, the kids are playing with their new stuff, and most importantly God is good, whether in I'm in the midst of the mundane moments of mothering or experiencing one of those fleeting moments of utter joy when I catch a glimpse of one of the girls doing something I think is amazing (Morgan holding the remote to her ear and pretending it's a cell phone or Noelle singing one of her made up songs). Thankfully, God is constant, because as every mom knows, "moments" are not.

4 comments:

Beth said...

amen sista!

Unknown said...

This post echoes my own thoughts so well...all day long, I kept telling myself, "don't expect too much, just enjoy...."

Sandhya said...

Hey Chris-

Looks like all the girls had a great Christmas. Of course, I love your realistic recap of the week. Bummed we didn't get to meet up....one of these trips we will have to make time for it. Hope the rest of your trip went well! Talk to you soon! Oh, and Rebekah found out it's a boy!!!!
Sandhya

Sara said...

Hi!!
I was so excited to get your card and note today...and especially to find you on here! It's great to catch up with your family and see your beautiful girls. Are we really this old? We found out a week before Christmas that I'm pregnant with our fourth. I keep looking through your blog thinking, I can do this, right?
I have a blog too. It's thegoensgang.blogspot.com. I'm so happy to have a way to keep up with you now. I think about you guys every once in a while. I always think we'll give you a call sometime when we're in your area, but you know how that goes. It was great to see Sandhya too. Man her kids are gorgeous like her. Well, yay, so fun to hear from you and so excited that we have so much in common - mostly, I guess the chaos of kids!
Sara