Monday, January 19, 2009

Downright Neighborly

How many times have we heard the command, "love thy neighbor as thyself" right?  Well I've got actual neighbors that do that, and it's awesome.  First of all I've mentioned the Herveys several times throughout my blogging.  This weekend they helped up paint the exterior of the house.  I don't have pix on that yet, but I'm working on it.  Anyone who's ever taken on a big painting job on their own knows that it's not fun, not even a little fun.  So we're very, very grateful.  Secondly, my other neighbors, the Carpenters don't actually hang out with us like the Herveys do, they're older like my parents age, and they go to a different church, but they still are always so helpful & kind.  They watch our kids from time to time, and they lent us their trailer because during the next 2 weekends, I'm going to have a ton of house guests, so now I have a whole separate area for the all my teenager nieces & nephews to sleep.  

Anyway, it's amazing to see the concept in action, and a good reminder to me to live out the love so to speak.  It's easy to say you want to be helpful, but difficult to actually do (especially if it involves actual labor or sacrifice, right)?

Kid Update from my last blog:  Morgan had a HORRIBLE case of hand, foot, & mouth.  The twins both got a few sores in their mouth, but nothing like Morgan's case.  She had them everywhere.  Lorelei has escaped the plague so far.  We stayed home from church yesterday so as not to further infect the people of Ventura County, but we'll see who ends up sick in the next week or so!

Footnote: when mentioning the "live out the love" concept, I'm referring to living out the love of Christ, because without that stipulation, the deed would be merely a self-serving attempt at finding some type of earthly fulfillment (ex: the peace corps or Oprah-esque volunteer type work) but considering I know most of my general audience, I'm pretty much preaching to the choir.

3 comments:

AmyLeite said...

Missed you yesterday. Hope y'all are feeling better. Lily had a fever yesterday but is doing much better today so I think she escaped the Leaman infection from the playdate last week! :)

Sandhya said...

Hey Chris-
You are truly blessed with great neighbors! Hope you have lots of fun next week with Dan's family for the wedding. And Kyler had that H, F, M last year and it was awful! My "eater" didn't want to eat....it was SO sad!!! I hope it doesn't keep circulating!!! Can't wait to see the house and all it's new glory!

The Parsons' blog said...

I was going to ask for an update on the nasty hand-foot-mouth nonsense. Poor Morgan, no fun! Can moms and dads get the stuff?? Hope it's gone for good soon.

That's great you have good neighbors! Ours aren't too bad either (my parents ;). It's truly a blessing.