Thursday, January 15, 2009

Please Don't Hate Me

So basically, here's how it happened.  Yesterday, Morgan was being super crabby, which is unlike her and very drooly.  I assumed this was due to some type of teething.  In the meantime, I watched my friend's kids.  Then, I noticed she felt warm.  Then I noticed she had little bumps in her mouth when I checked for some protruding teeth.  So like all moms do, I typed in mouth sores on babycenter, and self diagnosed that she had sort of a baby version of cold sores called gingivostomatitis.  Therefore, life continued on and I taught 2 classes IN MY HOME this morning (total 20 students), had 2 different moms watch Morgan during those classes (both moms have 4 & 5 kids of their own), and I dropped my other 3 kids off at school. 

Now I've noticed that Morgan continues to be miserable though she has no more fever, and someone suggested she may have hand foot and mouth which is INCREDIBLY contagious.  I feel terrible, I'm totally wracked with guilt that I may have infected the world with some very uncomfortable virus that's making my baby miserable.  So here I am confessing to you all now, and I admit even doing so is quite painful.  Like I said, please don't hate me. 

Here's the only good news about the whole thing: first of all the virus just runs it's course, not much to do about it really, but try and keep them comfortable.  We bought her a Wendy's frosty because everything else was hurting her to eat.  (I have never seen a baby eat like my Morgan does, so to see her spit out granola bar after biting into it was the saddest thing ever).  Secondly, though I know it's very inconvenient enjoy the extra cuddling.  When Morgan's healthy she's always running around, trying to keep up with her sisters.  Today she just wanted me to hold her, and so I did, and even though I didn't accomplish much, it was very sweet to have her just lie on me for a while.  But of all the days to be trapped rocking in a glider,  Oprah was about menopause, we're not quite ready for that topic yet.  

Again, so so so sorry about this.  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh man. We've all done that. I infected people with strep in my house. I'm sure those moms completely understand.

HF&M is miserable! Feel better soon, Morgan.

stephanie said...

oh... i love the cuddling moments. the one nice thing about ill children. i don't, however, like them in the middle of the night... EVER.

hope morgan, and the rest of southern california, is feeling better soon.

Jen said...

If I see some sort of plague outbreak in your region I'll know where it started :) Poor little Morgan - I hate not being able to eat too! She's a girl after my own heart. Hopefully she'll feel better soon!

Beth said...

Sad, we've shared with others many times too. I'm sure moms with older kids have said enjoy the cuddling while you get it...thats the only thing I enjoy when my kiddos are sick. See you in the sick room on Sunday!