Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Expectations

I learned quickly during my first year of marriage, that false expectations can often lead to unnecessary conflict. There were many, many moments that I spoiled during that first year of marriage, and several in the 11 years in between that really didn't have to be spoiled. The only reason they were was because I would go into a situation with ridiculous expectations. For example, I often would picture special occasions, such as birthdays, Valentine's Day, or what have you to be just like something out of a Meg Ryan movie (wait I'm dating myself) make that a Kate Hudson movie. I'd expect Dan to come home from work with some very unique and thoughtful gift hiding behind his back, and tickets to a show in his pocket, and reservations for dinner already called in. Instead, he'd often come in and and ask, "So whaddya wanna do tonight?" or "Hey, let's eat leftovers, so we can save money." As a result I'd often pout, or get upset, or angry when really how was he supposed to know what I'd been thinking? I mean come on, he doesn't even like Meg Ryan movies. As a result, I've learned to be more realistic with my expectations. That's helped me in marriage, it's helped me in parenting, and it's helped me in life.

Today, as is my ritual, I caught a glimpse of the host chat on Regis & Kelly, and Miss Ripa was sharing how her 7 year old daughter wrote a letter about how our new president would help little children not to be afraid anymore because he has daughters, so he understands kids. (As opposed to Reagan, Clinton, Carter, Bush Sr, and Bush Jr? Oh wait they all had daughters too). All I have to say is this, as a nation I am witnessing some really, really outrageous expectations for our new president. Hopes are high as we "usher in a new era of 'competence'" (said a recent Oprah guest). Well, I look forward to seeing all of our problems suddenly dissapear. I look forward to peace in the Middle East, an end to terrorist threats, and to poverty being abolished. But in the meantime, perhaps we should be reminded that life is not like the movies, though it appears our new leading man would be quite a hit at the box office.

4 comments:

SomisSurferGirl said...

amen sista

Leaman said...

Christina, you are the greatest. Have you ever considered just starting a column in your local journal? I could read your blogs all day. We hope you have a great time with fam and your house looks amazing. We will miss not seeing you all.

Coleson & Tate said...

AMEN!!!!

Kerry said...

totally agree...I wish all of these people would place their hope in Jesus instead of him! I also find it funny that people find him/his administration to be compentent yet they have done nothing to prove competence!